Monday 6 November 2017

FOR DANCE LOVERS


You know I have great respect for people who are good at their craft (well now you do!) like really good in an original genius way not karaoke ish. I was an okay dancer myself but I never made a dime from it, thanks to all you herRaz! I try to keep tabs on the biggest talent shows in the world to look out for that diamond in the rough; most times I pick the winner from the auditions and I usually get it right. I didn't give BGT to Tokio Meyers but he was by far the stand out act. I did not give X Factor to Matt Terry and no wonder Syco did not sign him.

Anyhow, there's been this dance show which ended like a month back; World of Dance produced by the ageless Jennifer Lopez. Derek Hough was the out and out dancer on the panel but we can concede that JLo and Neyo have done their share of choreo in music. The show attracted some of the biggest names across different dance genres in the world; Kinjas, Jabba Wokeez, Super Crew etc. From the start, I knew Les Twins would win.

These French 26ish twins (too lazy to google) had that sort of fascinating story. They walked at 5 months (mbu), danced before they could talk and have never had any formal dance training. They couldn't speak much English until they met Beyonce a few years ago. They've toured with big names in the business and this would probably be their American break. Or it would be their first million dollars not francs. 

Their routines were not the cleanest, (you can't beat kinjas on synchronization) they did not do the biggest tricks like high flying super crew nor were they sick contortionists like Eva Igo. With a broken leg, they beat arguably the biggest ballroom duo in the competition. How do you score a perfect mark from one of the judges and still lose to an injured act? People think that the show was rigged, maybe the fact that JLo has twins helped; maybe the categories too. Would they have beaten Kinjas or Jabba Wokeez in a face off early in the competition?

Without Korean group Just Jerk in AGT final, I would only think of Light Balance and Merrick Hanna deserving of any silverware. Merrick is too young and has a lot to learn but is on the way there and does a stellar job without hiding behind complex production. A stripped back skit by a robotic genius. Anyway, that show is a puddles pity party this year but Cowell's gotta do what Cowell's gotta do. 

I am not sure who benefits most from the French Montana / Ghetto kids project. I am told the song is wack (but I don't listen to his music anyway so I wouldn't know); I know ghetto kids are great dancers and probably played part in the Eddy Kenzo legacy. I know he is no longer in the Ghetto, neither is our good Honourable (you know who) but hope the kids are in GEMS Cambridge and staying somewhere in Muyenga too. Otherwise, Montana might be cashing into the same thing we sell: identify with ghettos in music videos and live in Bugolobi in real life. I haven't done much research but I know that Kampala is not just Katwe and something need not be in Mwaara to be African. 

Les Twins have the sort of chemistry that no one else in the business has. Give me an act that has danced together since before they were born. They have original choreo which need not be super clean or textbook but it fits right and tells a story. Whoever is in charge made sure the story ended the way it should have. Les Twins are the dance fairly tale, we do not need to spoil such happy endings. Maybe I have a third eye for such things, maybe they were in their lane; maybe it is not all about hard work, maybe there is such a thing as purpose in life.

Wenger (OUT) badly needs some three points Today against Bournemouth. Hope this French kick inspires him to show some teeth. He's definitely not on a fairly tale roll but this is a dance post so we won't ask him to leave the stage. All good dancers leave at some point, the best leave with a trophy; that's my bit about Les Twins.

No comments: